Hoosiers lose three straight for first time since 2000

Match proves to be family reunion for former IU players

Pete Stuttgen
IU freshman forward Michael Roach heads the ball as IU sophmore midfielder Kevin Alston and University of Alabama Birmingham junior midfielder/forward Dejan Jakovic watch on Saturday, Sept. 22, at Bill Armstron Stadium. Jakovic scored both goals against the Hoosiers, giving UAB the 2-1 win.

Friday’s contest between IU and the University of Alabama at Birmingham was a reunion of sorts for the IU soccer family as Hoosier soccer legend Jerry Yeagley was reunited with two of his former players. \nThe reunion between the three was a bit unusual because one of the former players, UAB coach Mike Getman, was on the sideline opposite of the other former player, IU coach Mike Freitag. One of the two coaches had to lose the game, and unfortunately, IU (3-3-1) was on the wrong side of that equation, losing 2-1 to the Blazers.\nGetman said it was a pleasure to compete against Freitag.\n“We played together and were roommates when we were assistant coaches at IU,” Getman said. “We’ve been friends for 30 years, and I enjoy competing against him.” \nFreitag said he likes competing against Getman because it’s good competition, but he’s disappointed that things didn’t go IU’s way.\nGetman and Freitag faced each other for the fourth time in their careers – IU won last year’s contest 2-1, and the two other meetings were tied. This match resulted in coach Getman’s first win as a coach against his alma mater. \nGetman said he enjoys being back at IU and that this win will give his team \nsome momentum.\n“When I hear the IU fight song, it’s hard not to sing along. It’s a real pleasure to play against IU,” Getman said. “Though one game never makes a season, this is a big boost.” \nFormer coach Jerry Yeagley echoed Getman’s statement and summed up the mixed feelings that both parties felt.\n“I was cheering for IU,” Yeagley said. “I’m proud of both of them and I’m happy for Mike (Getman) getting his first win against IU, but still disappointed (about the IU loss).” \nBeyond the nostalgic element of the night, the game had real implications for the Hoosiers. This loss gave IU its first three-game losing streak since the 2000 team ended its season with three straight losses. \nDespite giving a valiant effort in the second half, IU didn’t exactly start its contest against UAB in ideal fashion, considering the recent two-game skid. The Hoosiers gave up a goal to UAB midfielder Dejan Jakovic only 11 minutes into the game, digging themselves a 1-0 hole that was still intact going into halftime. \nIU came into the second half reenergized, and freshman forward Neil Wilmarth was the source of much of that energy. His hustle kept a ball alive and led to a goal off a rebound for midfielder Rich Balchan in the 58th minute of the match. \nAfter the Hoosiers scored their lone goal of the game, both teams became offensively aggressive. The Hoosiers couldn’t capitalize on many potential goals and led the Blazers in shots 21-9 for \nthe game. \nFreitag said his team had opportunities to win.\n“(UAB) didn’t have a lot of chances, but they took them well.” Freitag said. “We were our own worst enemy at some times, but I’d be more concerned if we didn’t get chances. We’re doing some things right but finding ways to make silly mistakes.”\nThe Blazers made the most of the few opportunities they received, and Jakovic scored his second goal of the game in the 88th minute with a rebound shot off junior goalkeeper Chay Cain. IU scrambled to force overtime after the goal, but came up short.\nGetman said he has faith that his alma mater will recover from its recent losses. \n“They are so well-coached and I’m sure they will have a great season,” he said.\nFreitag agreed that this is just a short dryspell for the Hoosiers and said they’ll learn from it.\n“It’s a learning process,” Freitag said. “In some ways, I’m happy these things happened at this stage because players think they’re doing things right and don’t know it’s wrong unless they get punished. We’ve been punished the last three games, but I think it’ll make \nus stronger.”