Good luck suck

Good Luck Chuck (R) Grade: C-

Dane Cook may be a joke of an actor, but who wouldn't want to run their fingers through that hair?

Dane Cook has arguably become the most popular comedian around. His first leading role in last year's "Employee of the Month" failed to let the Dane train leave the station by constraining him within an awful script. Now he's back with the R-rated "Good Luck Chuck." Sadly, the R-rating doesn't capitalize on Cook's vulgar stand-up persona.\nCook plays Charlie "Chuck" Logan, who is hexed during a childhood "7 Minutes in Heaven" game gone awry and discovers that the women he sleeps with find love with the next guy they meet. In the present, Charlie is a dentist who can't seem to say the L-word. When he attends the wedding of a girl he dated just six months previously, and the bride thanks him for being a lucky charm, Chuck notices women start to come on to him more often. At the wedding, he meets quirky penguin-keeper Cam (Jessica Alba), a walking accident of a woman, and falls for her.\nThe plot of "Good Luck Chuck" fails miserably, and the curse seems to exist only so Cook can bed tons of topless women and display myriads of weird sex positions with them, an exploitation of the R-rating. The script uses the "Deuce Bigalow"-esque cliche of making the lead sleep with a fat lady not once, but twice. When Chuck figures out the curse is real and attempts to break it, the solution is predictable.\nCook and Alba have on-screen chemistry, and some of their scenes are cute, but they never truly click, which is probably because neither could act themselves out of a paper bag. Alba pulls off slapstick a little better than I predicted (the penguin-feeding fiasco is painfully fantastic), but after a slew of jokes in the beginning, her clumsy characteristics are seemingly forgotten. The last 30 minutes of the movie, Alba all but disappears aside from Chuck spying on her, making sure she doesn't fall in love with someone else. \nThere are a few laugh-out-loud moments, but many more fall flat. Even with the R-rating, Cook doesn't show any glimpse of his impeccable joke-delivering stand-up greatness.\nWhile he is a stand-up master, Cook's comedy routine doesn't translate to the big screen, and the energy that fuels his stage performance is inexplicably absent. "Good Luck Chuck" is a movie to see if you're a fan of Cook or Alba or even penguins, but if you're looking for hilarious moments, you will be disappointed.