Boys gone wild

It’s a mystery to me why the media is still covering the same old stories about Britney and Lindsay. It’s not because I don’t condone celebrity gossip. On the contrary, I think anyone who is an intelligent human being deserves some silly entertainment every now and then. Ain’t no shame. \nStill, the continued coverage is confusing because these girls have simply lost their touch, and their routines are becoming repetitive. It would be somewhat acceptable if Britney was putting out clubbangers and Lindsay was making good movies again. Judging by Lindsay’s latest movie choices and Brit’s new songs and live performances, that is clearly not the case. \nLately, it’s male celebrities who are really shocking the world. Specifically, we’re dealing with male musicians who are visiting Europe. And I’m not just talking about Akon’s lewd onstage behavior. \nKanye West really shines in his latest album, Graduation. He just has a slight tendency toward word vomit, and his ego always gets the best of him. Take his behavior at the European Music Awards in Denmark. He lost the award for Best Video, but still got onstage to put in his two cents. He claimed he should have won because his video for “Touch the Sky” had Pamela Anderson, a $1 million budget and stunts. Still, he didn’t take any stabs at the real winners, Justice and Simian Mobile Disco, but that was only because, as he pointed out, he had never actually seen their video. \nKanye later admitted he had a little “sippy sippy” before the show, but that he still should have won. In an interesting turn of events, Justice and Kanye are both nominated for this year’s Best Music Video at the MTV Video Music Awards. \nOther male celebs dodged the major headlines as the Smashing Pumpkins, a legendary alternative rock band, reunited for an exhilarating live performance. Apparently, frontman Billy Corgan doesn’t have much to lose. During a recent show in Leeds, England, Corgan commented that a lady in the crowd was dressed like a “slut.” He later comforted the concertgoer by saying, “American girls are sluts, too.” Makes you wonder what Billy’s friend Paris Hilton would say in response to that. \nThen there’s Justin Timberlake, an international pop star who loves to present himself as a southern gentleman. During his recent trip to Scandinavia, he certainly brought rude back. In Norway, he took a picture of a photographer, only to tell him he just took a picture of an “a-hole.” Just a few days later, when a young fan asked to take a picture with him, Timberlake replied by asking, “Do you want me to juggle, too?” \nKanye isn’t exposing his private parts, Billy Corgan hasn’t called anyone a “firecrotch” and JT is always getting better publicity than his ex-girlfriend. But they are just as newsworthy as female tabloid darlings. Maybe the media pardons the boys because they are making good music. Or, perhaps Americans just don’t care if these male celebs are jerks overseas, as long as they’re gents back home.