Man pleads not guilty to abuse during ‘exorcism’

IU student’s pre-trial scheduled for September

The IU student accused of battery and confinement while performing an “exorcism” pleaded not guilty during his initial hearing on Aug. 10.\nEddie Uyesugi, of Paoli, Ind., could face up to nine years in prison and $10,000 in fines if convicted, his attorney Matt Blanton said. Blanton said Uyesugi could be sentenced to probation. \nUyesugi was arrested Aug. 1 after turning himself into authorities, saying he performed an unauthorized “exorcism” on a 14-year-old autistic boy in late May.\nUyesugi, 22, told the boy’s mother that he could cure her son’s autism by performing an “exorcism,” according to a probable cause affidavit. The boy’s mother said she assumed the “exorcism” was authorized by the church.\nDuring the “exorcism,” Uyesugi punched the boy 20 times in the face and stuck his fingers down the boy’s throat in an attempt to “cast out the demons,” according to the affidavit. The “exorcism” lasted 11 hours, leaving the boy’s face bruised and swollen.\nUyesugi told police the “exorcism” was the victim’s mother’s idea, which the mother denied. He told Monroe County Sheriff’s Det. Brad Swain that she had asked him to pray over her son. \nWhen he began praying, the boy became upset and violent. Uyesugi restrained the boy and admitted to striking him “once or twice.” Uyesugi said the boy gagged, but it was not because of his attempt to cast out the boy’s demons, according to the affidavit. \nUyesugi was a pastor-in-training at Cherry Hill Church Ministries, located at 417 E. 16th St. On Aug. 1, the church issued a press release denouncing Uyesugi for his behavior and the harm it caused the boy. \nUyesugi was asked to cancel his membership in the church. His pre-trial conference is scheduled for late September.