IU interim director of student media named

Nancy Comiskey will replace David Adams, who died this summer

The Indiana Daily Student announced Monday the appointment of Nancy Comiskey as interim director of student media. Previous director of student media, David Adams, passed away during the summer after serving as director since 1989. \nComiskey served as interim director from January 2002 to May 2003 while Adams was on leave teaching in Hawaii. \nShe will return to overseeing operations at the IDS and Arbutus for a 10-month appointment, spanning the 2007-2008 school year. \nCurrently, Comiskey has served as a visiting Weil professor in the IU School of Journalism, according to an IU press release. \n“Dave (Adams) was an outspoken advocate for student journalists and a fine man. We all miss him,” Comiskey said in the press release. “I wish the circumstances were different, but I’m happy to be back at the IDS and the Arbutus for the year. We have a terrific staff in place now, and I hope we’ll see a lot more students in the newsroom when classes begin.”\nComiskey was a 1974 IU graduate, and served as an editor for 10 years at The Indianapolis Star. \nIncoming IDS editor-in-chief, Trevor A. Brown (who is no relation to the former dean) expressed his excitement about working with Comiskey. “I am sure she will be a tremendous resource for everyone. I’m looking forward to a very productive and exciting year working with her,” he said. \nBonnie Brownlee, associate dean of the School of Journalism and chair of the search committee for a permanent director, said in the press release that the school is “delighted” Comiskey will be serving as interim publisher. As the 10-person search committee continues looking for a permanent director, Brownlee said Comiskey will provide stability to help move the paper forward during the time. \nThe search committee will meet for the first time on Aug. 31. \nFor more on this story, see Wednesday’s edition of the Indiana Daily Student.