Gov. Daniels appoints 3 new trustees

Board president reappointed for 3-year term

Gov. Mitch Daniels reappointed one member and appointed two new members to the IU board of trustees, including one undergraduate student Thursday, Aug. 2. Daniels’ announcement comes nearly a month later than expected. \nOn July 1, the terms for trustees Stephen L. Ferguson, then president of the board, Dr. Clarence Boone, Jeffrey Cohen and student trustee Casey Cox expired. Daniels reappointed Ferguson. \nBoone and Cohen were not expected to be re-appointed, and Cox’s term as student trustee ended when he graduated from law school in the spring.\nReplacing Boone and Cohen are Jack M. Gill and Derica W. Rice. The student trustee is undergraduate Arthur D. King, according to a press release from the governor’s office.\nRice, who is black, will be the only minority member of the board. Sue Talbot is currently the only female member of the board.\nGill, of Houston, Texas, graduated with a doctorate from IU in 1962 and is a 35-year Silicon Valley veteran. Gill is also a co-founder and managing director of Vanguard Ventures, a venture-capital company that specializes in life science initiatives and pioneering technology companies, according to the release.\nRice, of Carmel, Ind., is an Eli Lilly and Co. senior vice president and chief financial officer. He also serves as a member of the company’s policy and strategy committee and \noperations committee.\nKing, a junior from Columbus, Ind., is a student in the Hutton Honors College and the Mitte Honors Business Program. King is also president of the IU Board of Aeons, an advisory group that serves as a link between the student body and the University president. He is also the CEO of the Global Sales Leadership Society.\nFerguson, Gill and Rice will serve three-year terms and King will serve a two year-term, according to the press release.