Promising young Spaniard Contador wins 14th stage; Rasmussen retains overall lead

CYCLING TOUR DE FRANCE

PLATEAU DE BEILLE, France – Michael Rasmussen of Denmark extended his overall lead in the Tour de France on Sunday against all of his top challengers – except Alberto Contador.\nThe Spaniard surged ahead of the Dane at the end of the final climb, tapping his chest and pointing skyward as he finished a bike length ahead of Rasmussen in 5 hours, 25 seconds, 48 seconds to take his first stage victory in the race.\nThe promising 24-year-old Spaniard, who placed third among young cyclists in the 2005 Tour, leapfrogged into second overall 2:23 behind Rasmussen.\n“It’s a great victory,” Contador said. “To win a finish like the Plateau de Beille is a dream.”\nColombia’s Juan Mauricio Soler was third in the stage, 37 seconds back.\nContador and Rasmussen finished alone after outpacing a small group of breakaway riders late in the 122-mile stage from Mazamet to Plateau de Beille in the Pyrenees that featured two very difficult climbs.\nTheir two-man show demonstrated how climbing specialists have an edge in the 94th edition of cycling’s premier race. The stages expected to be crucial in determining the final standings are the next two days in the Pyrenees and a time trial on the eve of the July 29 finish in Paris.\nThe big loser Sunday was Cadel Evans, who had begun the stage in second place, 1 minute back of Rasmussen. The Australian fell behind in the last 3 miles and dropped to third overall, 3:04 back.\n“It was a really, really hard stage” the Predictor Lotto rider said. “Contador and Rasmussen are the best climbers in the Tour de France, I think.”\nRasmussen was guided up the first ascent – the Port de Pailheres – by his Rabobank teammates. But the support riders lost steam in the second climb to Plateau de Beille with some 6 miles left, leaving Rasmussen alone with his top challengers.\nHis yellow jersey unzipped, Rasmussen kept close watch on his five nearby rivals – Contador, Evans, Soler, Levi Leipheimer of the United States and Carlos Sastre of Spain.\nThe riders tested each other with short bursts to see who would be the first to crack. Rasmussen and Contador broke away when the other riders finally began to struggle. The Dane suggested to Contador that the two work together to gain time on their pursuers, and after the stage said Contador deserved the victory.\n“We had a common interest in taking as much time out of our nearest competitors as possible, but when it got close to the finish line we were both racing 100 percent for the victory,” Rasmussen said.\nThe race moves into the second of three grueling days in the Pyrenees on Monday, with a 121.8-mile run from Foix to Loudenvielle-Le Louron.