McRobbie appoints new administrators

Since IU President Michael McRobbie took office on July 1, IU administration has experienced several changes.\nWith Edwin Marshall’s appointment to vice president of diversity, equity and multicultural affairs, he joins many other newly appointed administrators in McRobbie’s cabinet. \nBesides Marshall, McRobbie recently appointed Patrick O’Meara to serve as vice president for international affairs. This is a new position McRobbie created due to the rapidly increasing importance of the international and global dimension in higher education, according to an IU press release. Before his appointment, O’Meara served as dean for international programs at IU. \nWith his promotion, O’Meara will oversee international programs at all eight IU campuses, and he will have principal responsibility to implement a new, University-wide international strategic plan regarding the University’s presence around the world. \nIn a joint statement on behalf of IU and Clarian Health Partners, William Stephan, currently Clarian’s senior vice president of community relations and corporate communications, was announced as vice president for engagement.\nStephan’s new role allows him to assume statewide responsibility for economic development programs and initiatives. He also serves as IU’s corporate liaison to Clarian Health Partners, to attract investment in new health care and life sciences initiatives, according to an IU press release. \nBrad Wheeler was appointed to the position of vice president for information technology. Wheeler has provided leadership for University Information Technology Services with a focus on strategic and priority initiatives.\nFormer Dean of the Hutton Honors College Karen Hanson’s new appointment as provost and executive vice president marks the first time someone has held the position on a permanent basis. Hanson assumes responsibilities overseeing academic and budgetary concerns to ensure that the needs of students and faculty are met. In addition, Hanson’s responsibilities include making sure University standards for education are met as well. \nNeil Theobald, senior vice provost and special assistant to the president and professor of education finance in the School of Education, has been promoted to vice president and chief financial officer. Theobald will be responsible for developing IU’s $2.4 billion annual budget, according to an IU press release. In addition, he’ll align IU’s legislative requests with its budgetary needs. With McRobbie’s guidance, he will pay special attention to issues of University accessibility and afford ability, according to the release. \nTheobald replaces Judith Palmer, who left her position to become director of the University’s new Office of Legislative and Policy Analysis. \nShortly after McRobbie took office, he appointed Mike Sample, vice president for university relations, to become vice president for public affairs and government relations. Sample will also lead IU’s governmental relations efforts at the state and federal levels. Sample succeeds Tom Healy.\nMcRobbie appointed Karen Adams as chief of staff in his new administration. Adams served as chief of staff for McRobbie in his previous roles at IU, most recently as interim provost and vice president for academic affairs.