Bloomington police, fire department officials caution Fourth of July celebrants

Safety workers warn residents about hazards of fireworks

Karly Tearney

As Independence Day gets closer and fireworks sales skyrocket, the Bloomington Police and Fire departments warned residents about the dangers of using fireworks.\nBloomington Fire Department Chief Jeff Barlow explained that consumer fireworks can be hazardous. He said the fire department received a safety video that talked about a 3-year-old child who was killed after he was hit in the head with a bottle rocket.\n“It’s dangerous to shoot off fireworks, and it’s dangerous to be reckoned with,” Barlow said. “It only takes a second.” \nBarlow suggested residents watch professional fireworks shows rather than shooting off their own from a backyard. But he said that, if someone is going to shoot off fireworks on their own property, they should always use a cleared, open area and wear safety goggles.\nBarlow said residents should always keep a fire-extinguishing mechanism available when shooting fireworks, such as a bucket of water, a hose or a fire extinguisher. He said even simple fireworks such as sparklers can reach temperatures as high as 1,000 degrees. \nHe also urged residents to call the fire department if they think their fireworks might have started a fire.\n“Even if it’s small, don’t hesitate,” he said. \nBarlow said since 2000 there have only been four fireworks-related fires reported in Bloomington. Two were vegetation fires, and the others were a structure fire and a vehicle fire, he said.\nAccording to Indiana law, on the Fourth of July consumer fireworks can be used between the hours of 10 a.m. and midnight. Fireworks can be used between 5 p.m. and two hours after sunset for five days following the holiday. \nBarlow said the law only allows residents to shoot off their own fireworks in three special locations: their own private property, the private property of someone else who has given permission to them to shoot fireworks and a special discharge location. But, Barlow said he does not know of any of these public shoot sites in Bloomington. \nHe said if someone is found shooting fireworks and they don’t have permission in that area, it is an infraction and can cost up to $500 per ticket. \n“The precautions are plentiful,” Barlow said. “Most people don’t think of the hazards until it’s too late.”\nBloomington Police Department Sgt. Jeff Canada said most 911 calls start anywhere from the Saturday before July 4 until the holiday. The calls are mostly alcohol-related, such as public intoxication, fireworks, domestic situations and noise violations, he said.\nAlthough the holiday is approaching and the department gets more calls, the Bloomington Police Department does not increase the number of officers on duty during the week. Extra force is not necessary during the week because out-of-the-ordinary problems do not occur, said BPD Capt. Michael Diekhoff.