Big Ten Network to launch in late August

Network still hasn’t reached deal for service to Bloomington cable providers

The Big Ten Network is coming to you at 7 p.m., Aug. 30. Maybe.\nWhile this is the date the network is set to launch, who will see it remains a mystery. Viewers subscribed to DIRECTV are set for 24-hour Big Ten programming. Subscribers who use cable or the Dish Network, however, might be out of luck. \nNo deal has yet been reached with many of these services, but Network President Mark Silverman remains optimistic.\n“As we continue discussions with the largest national cable system operators, we’re pleased to know that so many of these Midwestern communities will have the network available to them on expanded basic (cable),” Silverman said \nin a statement.\nThe bad news for Hoosier fans is that none of these companies are located in Indiana. Insight Communications, which currently serves Bloomington, and Comcast Cable, which is expected to take over Insight Communications’ cable services for Bloomington viewers, have not reached an agreement with the Big Ten Network. Comcast wants to put it on a more expensive sports tier while the Big Ten Network wants it on basic cable. The Big Ten Network is asking for $1.10 per subscriber in the Big Ten region, and many cable companies think that price is too high, since it would make it the second-highest cable subscription price behind ESPN.\nAdditionally, it is unclear whether IU’s cable system, which serves students living in dorms and on much of campus, will carry the network. \nThe good news about the network is that it will show more than 105 basketball games and more than 35 football games per year and have other sports available that have never previously been seen on TV.