Welcome to IU

Orientation 2007

Chris Pickrell

Orientation got under way on Tuesday, kicking off a program that will bring more than 7,000 incoming freshmen and transfer students to campus over the next five weeks.\nIncoming freshman Beth Lutzow said she decided to attend IU in part because she already has friends that go here. \n“I’d move in tomorrow if I could,” she said. \nThe two-day orientation process is essential for new students to become familiar with campus before encountering the large crowds of Welcome Week and also a chance to plan their schedules for the fall in a one-on-one advising session, said Troy Jones, Orientation student coordinator. \nJones, a senior in his third year of working with the program, said he believes Orientation not only helps students get accustomed to their new surroundings but also gives them a chance to interact with many new people. \n“Orientation is two days when students get to meet people, so when they come back in the fall, hopefully they’ll not be as nervous and have a few friends as well,” Jones said.\nBecause the Orientation schedule is so busy, the program’s administrators recommend that students stay on campus at Wright Quad, although local hotels are also an option. Incoming students must take required placement exams, learn about the extensive technology IU has to offer and attend group advising meetings focusing on their intended areas of study. \nSocial times are scheduled throughout the sessions as well. Small Orientation groups eat lunch together and play games to become acquainted with each other. Dinner time with family is also built in, as well as an open house at the Student Recreational Sports Center. \nThe SRSC experience was Lutzow’s favorite Orientation activity because it was more relaxed and she felt it was easier to socialize there. Lutzow, from Burr Ridge, Ill., intends to concentrate her studies in photojournalism. \nHer parents, Dwain and Lydia, have gone through the Orientation process before – two of their older children have already graduated from IU. Students aren’t the only participants in Orientation, as parents are involved in selected activities throughout the day. The Lutzows said that, in the parental group portion of Orientation, the “Connections” activity was the most beneficial. \n“Connections” is a time for parents to talk with IU Orientation leaders about what their children might experience while at the University. \n“Orientation was as valuable for us as it was for the students,” Dwain Lutzow said. \nBoth Dwain and Lydia said they appreciated how friendly and enthusiastic everyone was who they encountered at Orientation. \n“We feel very good about it (IU), and we know she’ll get a good education with a respected degree,” Lydia Lutzow said. \nIncoming freshman Ryan Sullivan from Mundelein, Ill., said he is excited to begin his college career at IU. Sullivan, who intends to major in exercise science, said he chose to come to IU after talking with friends who enjoyed their college experiences in Bloomington. He also cited the beautiful landscape as another influencing factor. \n“I like that it’s all in walking distance,” Sullivan said. \nHe agreed with Lutzow that the SRSC open house was most enjoyable part of the Orientation experience, although he was also very interested in learning what shows will be coming to the IU Auditorium in the 2007-2008 season. He’s optimistic about his freshman year. \n“I’m kind of scared, but looking forward to it. I know there are a lot of opportunities for me,” he said.