Surf's Up: B+

Penguins: so hot right now

Evidently penguins are "in." From webbed feet to "pecker-faces," these sweet, black-and-white birds have fans all over the world cheering for them. And after watching "Surf's Up," I've jumped on the penguin bandwagon too. With it's wily cast of characters and punch lines that will leave both kids and adults in tears, "Surf's Up" pleases from start to finish.\nThe animated Cody Maverick (Shia LaBeouf) has been a surfing penguin all his life, according to the documentary crew following him around. So when he gets the opportunity to travel to Pen Gu Island to compete in the Big Z Memorial Surf Off, he jumps at the chance. Discovering truths about life, love and competition along the way, Cody surfs his way into the competition with a little help from his idol, Big Z (Jeff Bridges).\n"Surf's Up" is laced with references, pop culture spoofs and simple hilarity that ensures it will be a crowd pleaser for years to come. The sometimes predictable plot is compensated for with great jokes and stellar performances, including one from the obvious stoner Chicken Joe (Jon Heder) and the surfing promoter Reggie Belafonte (James Woods), modeled after Don King. The cartoon action and cute love story make for a good mix to go along with the hilarious performances. In fact, it appears that Sony Pictures Animation might be putting legitimate pressure on Pixar's CGI market.\nThis film makes me want to go out, grab a surfboard and reach for the stars, having a good time all the way. The penguin bandwagon is pulling up, and those who don't want to miss out on the fun had better hop on. "Surf's Up" is a wonderful piece of animated film that teenagers and families alike will love. Catch a huge swell and ride it to a movie theater as soon as possible.