Queens of the Stone Age Era Vulgaris : B+

Everybody must get 'Stone'd

It's funny to think that, as numerous bands are now merging brainy songwriting with red-meat riffs, Queens of the Stone Age have been at it for nine years and six albums. Even the title captures the dynamic perfectly -- it's a high-falutin' Latin phrase for "common era" chosen by frontman Josh Homme because, as he told Pitchfork.com, "It sounds like 'the Vulgar Era,' which I like, because that sounds like something that I would like to be part of."\nThis balance, along with their constant innovation, makes QOTSA one of the greatest bands of the decade -- so much so that, even though Vulgaris might be their second-worst studio album, it's still really good.\nThat said, let's deal with its weaknesses first. Following the adventurous Lullabies To Paralyze, Vulgaris is a bit too safe. With its emphasis on atmosphere Vulgaris doesn't have Lullabies' baggage, but neither does it have tracks that stick firmly in one's brain. \nStill, Vulgaris is about three-fourths greatness, one-fourth OK-ness and no lameness. Lead single "Sick, Sick, Sick," with vocals from The Strokes' Julian Casablancas, is a killer bass-heavy dance track, and it's also rivaled by many other excellent moments. Vulgaris might not be QOTSA's best, but since what's common for them is exceptional for most other bands, it's well worth your time.