Online only: Perry Ferrell's Satellite Party: C+

Ferrell's folly

Ronni Moore

The latest project from former Jane's Addiction/Porno For Pyros frontman Perry Ferrell, Satellite Party is proof that if you have sky-high ambitions and a huge talent pool (Extreme's Nuno Bettencourt on guitar; guest appearances by, among others, the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea, New Order's Peter Cook, Thievery Corporation and, uh, Fergie), you can accomplish something that… only kind of works.

In sound, Satellite Party recalls Britain's "Madchester" bands of the late 80's/early 90's and their descendents (The Stone Roses, The Happy Mondays, The Verve, Kula Shaker), with a bit more funk and "mainstream alternative" guitar chug (think Linkin Park et al.). For the most part, it's quite listenable, but Ferrell undermines track after track with lyrics that range from eye-rollingly goofy to eye-rollingly pretentious to eye-rollingly sappy (listen to it in public, and they'll think you're having a seizure).

Things don't get bad until fourth track, "Kinky," which resurrects one of hair metal's tiredest clichés ("oh my God, I like kinky sex!"). This is followed by a thoroughly shallow stab at social relevance, "The Solutionists," and the comically awful chorus for "Awesome" ("awesome" repeated nine times each, with 34 total "awesomes" throughout). Other low points include "Mr. Sunshine," a celebration of post-coital satisfaction with a significant "eyew" factor; "Milky Ave," which claims heaven is like Malibu (double "eyew"); and "Ultra Payloaded Satellite Party" whose chorus is "Ee ah, da da da dee / Ultra payloaded, satellite party."

But, like "Ultra Payloaded," I've saved the worst for last. "Woman In The Window" features a lost Jim Morrison vocal track. And upon hearing Morrison's baritone belt out "I am the woman in the window," all I could think of was Austin Powers shouting, "it's a man, baby!"

In sum: solid instrumentals and plenty of (unintentional) humor -- but save your dinero.