Music From The Julian Temple Film 'The Future Is Unwritten: Joe Strummer': B-

Strummer doc needs more rock

Punk fundamentally changed the course of rock music. By placing individual expression and authenticity above technical skill and studio wizardry, it unleashed a flood of creative expression that continues today. And while The Ramones invented punk's sound, and The Sex Pistols its image, it was The Clash that created a true artistic revolution by combining punk's values with big ideas, both political -- for example, by organizing social activism -- and aesthetic -- by exploding punk's boundaries, most notably in London Calling.\nThat's why it's not surprising that "The Future Is Unwritten," a documentary about late Clash frontman Joe Strummer, has a far-ranging soundtrack. Combining songs from Strummer's bands (including the pre-Clash 101'ers, and the post-Clash Latino Rockabilly War and Mescaleros) with ones from his 1999-2002 stint as a BBC world service DJ, it seeks to connect his work to his creative inspirations and heterogeneous musical taste.\nOn the plus side, this means several stone-cold classics are included -- MC5's "Kick Out The Jams," Bob Dylan's "Corrina, Corrina," Nina Simone's "To Love Somebody" and fine tracks from Elvis Presley, Tim Hardin, Eddie Cochran and Woody Guthrie. And the Clash tracks are solid (although being three unreleased demos and a B-side, they'll hardly replace your favorites), as are The 101'ers' "Keys To Your Heart" and Mescaleros' "Johnny Appleseed." \nOn the downside, the soundtrack feels more educational than fun. The world music from Strummer's DJ period is more exotic than entertaining -- excepting Colombian troubadour Andres Landeros' fun "Martha Cecelia" -- and Strummer's own "Omotepe" and "Willesden to Cricklewood" are downright dull. Strummer's DJ identifications, peppered throughout, feel gimmicky, and the soundtrack's sheer breadth makes it hard to get a feel for what Strummer was really like. \nC'mon folks, we want to read his diary -- not his resume