IU provost search nearing its completion

Final 3 names will be submitted to McRobbie by Friday

IU has narrowed its provost search down to five candidates.\nThat list is set to be narrowed down to three and submitted to Interim Provost and President-elect Michael McRobbie soon.\nThe candidates are Gerardo Gonzalez, dean of the School of Education, Lauren Robel, dean of the School of Law in Bloomington, Jeanne Sept, dean of the faculties, Karen Hanson, dean of the Hutton Honors College, and David Zaret, former interim dean and associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said a source familiar with the provost search.\nIU law professor Fred Cate, who chairs the provost search committee, said he is pleased with the candidates still in contention for the position. He acknowledged that the Office of the Provost has so many responsibilities that no one candidate could ever hope to fulfill them all.\n“These five are a strong field,” he said. “The ideal candidate (for the position) doesn’t exist. It’s a huge campus and a very demanding job.”\nCate said that, in terms of qualifications, required experience for the position is “a deanship or something similar,” a claim that would seem to be corroborated by the fact that each candidate has either current or prior experience as a dean.\nMatt Jarson, IUSA chief of staff and the student representative on the search committee, called the process “an exercise in patience,” but said he is happy with the end result. \n“I’ve been very impressed with all the candidates,” Jarson said. “We’ll have somebody who’s familiar with the campus.”\nJarson said he was pleased with the entire process, which he called “remarkably productive.” \n“It’s been going very well,” he said. “This is probably one of the most open searches I’ve ever seen (at IU).”\nJarson said he was happy with the student involvement in the search, saying that several student organizations, including IU Student Association , the Union Board, the Board of Eons, Residence Halls Association and the Graduate and Professional Student Organization were all included in the interview process.\nJarson also complimented the members of the search committee for their openness with regards to student input, especially from him. He called the search the “best” experience he has had working with faculty and staff since coming to the University.\n“I think that the group we have on the committee has been very open,” Jarson said. “I’ve been very happy.”\nJarson said he believes the next provost will be more open and accessible to students, though he, like Cate, would not talk about any of the candidates specifically.\n“They’re all great candidates,” Jarson said. “No matter who gets selected, I think students will be much more of a focus.”\nCate said he believes that, regardless of which candidate McRobbie picks, the person assuming the office of provost will need to “hit the ground running” when they are installed. \nJarson agreed, and said he believes the next provost will have the opportunity to make a large impact on the University rather quickly.\n“I think there is a lot of potential all over this campus,” Jarson said. “I think there’s enormous potential for positive movement at this University.”\nJarson said the committee tried its best to work with McRobbie throughout the search process.\n“I think generally we’ve tried to work with Michael McRobbie quite a bit,” Jarson said. “Our primary concern has been finding someone that met his criteria.” \nCate acknowledged that whoever is selected for the position will leave a rather large hole in administration, wherever they come from. \n“Anyone who would fit the requirements for this job... they would leave a big hole where they are,” Cate said. \nCate said he and the committee have kept an open mind throughout the entire search process, and said it was hard to single out one candidate as better than any other.\n“I really don’t have a favorite (candidate),” Cate said. “We’re not even discussing them in between (interviews).”\nJarson said he was pleased with the overall product of the search committee’s work to help find the next IU provost, though he pointed out that the committee had not made any final decisions.\n“We’re still working on it,” Jarson said. “I feel like we’ve done a very good job this time around.”