Bruce Springsteen Live in Dublin : A+

America's 'Boss'

Bruce Springsteen is the consummate American musician -- the best under the Stars and Stripes. \n"I believe that the life of a rock 'n' roll band will last as long as you look down into the audience and can see yourself, and your audience looks up at you and can see themselves," the Boss once said. \nSpringsteen looks down and sees us. But he still rides because we look back at him and see everything we hope to have: persevering optimism and humble, working-class family values. Truth be told, he seems to have achieved the sublime perfection we all seek. \nIf you appreciate his music at all, get Live In Dublin now. If you can feel anything, try to stop the hair on the back of your neck from standing on edge during revamped classics like "Highway Patrolman" and "Atlantic City" or Pete Seeger greats like "Mrs. McGrath." \nThrough the originals and covers, Springsteen works through those lofty American values he and Seeger champion: Family is family, no matter what. And sometimes everyone needs a helping hand. \nNo one deserves a lift more than those left for dead in New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Whoever said protest is un-American has no music in his heart. Fortunately, though, our friend's got a lot of both. His adaptation of "How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live" chides our current president:\n"... And what happened to you poor black folks, well it just ain't fair / He took a look around, gave a little pep talk, said 'I'm with you' then he took a little walk / Tell me how can a poor man stand such times and live?"\nI don't know the answer to the question the song poses, but listening to the Boss is a good start to finding it.