Bloomington Area Arts Council executive director to take office today

Ed Vande Sande began his position Wednesday as interim executive director of the Bloomington Area Arts Council, following an May 5 announcement by the board of trustees.\nVande Sande, who is currently the BAAC’s director of marketing and development, is replacing Miah Michaelsen, who will become assistant director of economic development for the arts with the City of Bloomington.\n“(My new position) will concern itself with working with arts and businesses and connecting them through the arts,” Michaelsen said.\nBAAC President Gerald Sousa, who could not be reached by press time, said that even though he will miss Michaelsen’s hard work and enthusiasm, he is excited about the position she is taking with the City, according to a press release from the BAAC.\nMichaelsen explained that the city will be looking at arts the same way as technology – as a tool to drive and promote economic development. She said she hopes the arts program in Bloomington will bring in tourism dollars for the arts and artist organizations to attract businesses to the area. \n“(We hope) local businesses (will) promote Bloomington as an arts destination,” she said.\nMichaelsen said she has absolutely no doubt in her mind that Vande Sande will be great as interim executive director of the BAAC. Vande Sande is well-respected in the community, and he jumped on board with “dynamic,” she said. \nVande Sande said although it is very common for an organization to pick a staff member to take a position before it is filled full-time, he feels honored to have been chosen for the job. \n“It’s more of a caretaker position so we can continue to move forward,” he said.\nVande Sande said he will be carrying out the day-to-day operations, making sure the bills are paid and the art shows continue. He said the arts community has so much going on, including the performance series and a community school for the arts, and he’s really dedicated in helping it move forward. \n“All we do is based on community support and trust,” \nhe said.\nVande Sande said that, while the board looks for a permanent executive director, he will be working as both interim executive director and director of marketing and development.\n“What it comes down to is working a lot of hours,” Vande Sande said, “but when you love what you do, it doesn’t seem like a lot.”