Ultimate Frisbee club set for nationals

Hoosiermama? travels to Ohio for championships

Ronni Moore

It’s been twelve years coming for the Hoosiermama? ultimate frisbee team. Twelve years ago was the last time the Hoosiermama? team advanced to the UPA College Ultimate Championships. That year the team placed last in the tournament, but this year, they hope for a better showing.\nThe College Ultimate Championships will take place Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Columbus, Ohio. Hoosiermama? advanced to the College Championships by winning the regional tournament in Rantoul, Ill., earning the 14th seed in the 16-team field.\nWhile the team has little experience playing in such big games, co-captain and senior Jared “Gravy” Payne doesn’t believe that will factor into Hoosiermama?’s tournament play.\n“We are more excited than anything,” Payne said. “This is the biggest tournament any one of us has ever played in.”\n The team’s other co-captain and senior Max Klaben said he thinks his team is actually at an advantage.\n“We have nothing to lose,” he said.\nHoosiermama?’s first game will be at 8:30 a.m. Friday against the University of Oregon. The teams are broken into four pools. with four teams in each pool, and each team is guaranteed five games. The pool with the Hoosiermama? team consists of the University of Oregon, the University of Delaware, whom the Hossiers faced last season and the defending national champions, the University of Florida. For the Hooisermama? team to meet their goal and advance to the championship bracket, they have to avoid finishing last in their pool. If they do end up of finishing last, the best they could finish is 9th.\n“The only way I will be disappointed is if we don’t play to our potential,” Payne said.\nOne advantage the Hooisermama? team has on most of their opponents is that teams they play do not have a chance to scout them. When teams play in big ultimate frisbee tournaments, there is always a chance that someone will videotape them and put them online. Unlike most of the teams at this weekend’s championships, however, the Hoosiermama? team has not played in any such tournaments recently. \nBoth captains agree that another big advantage to this year’s team’s success is actually having a coach, graduate student Drew Hendrickson. In the past, the captains have served as both players and coaches for the team. \n“Having a coach creates a lesser role as captains,” Payne said. “We are able to \nfocus more.”\nGoing into the tournament, Klaben said he feels confident of the hard work the team has put in this season. \n“Every tournament we have been improving. We are in control of how we play,” Klaben said.\nSince the tournament is so close to Bloomington, the team’s fans will have an opportunity to attend the games. Along with friends and families, Hooisermama? alumni also plan to make the trip to Ohio to cheer on the team.\n“We should have one of bigger crowds,” Klaben said.\nAll pool play will conclude Friday. The championship bracket will play Saturday, and the championship game will be held Sunday.