Online only: Epic Movie: Film: C- Extras: C

Wait … that's not funny

Karly Tearney

Spoof movies have typically been known to cause viewers to laugh uproariously, to shoot cola out of their nostrils and to pick up on quotable lines that they will pull out at opportune moments for years to come. Writers/directors Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer set out to do just that in "Epic Movie," but instead produced a lukewarm, sometimes crude film filled heavily with sex humor and little substance. Rather than being seized by fits of rolling-on-the-floor laughter, one should expect only to chuckle every 15 minutes or so.\nThe movie's four main characters, Edward (Kal Penn), Peter (Adam Campbell), Lucy (Jayma Mays) and Susan (Faune A. Chambers), are siblings who are separated at birth by the "White Bitch," (Jennifer Coolidge) who is seeking to control the world of "Gnarnia" (copyright sensitive, of course). In their attempt to save the world, the four encounter many strange characters and lay siege to many great movies. From "Snakes on a Plane" to "Pirates of the Caribbean" and even "MTV Cribs," "Epic Movie" spoofs just about every major pop culture fixture that exists in this day and age.\nStill, "Epic Movie" joins the long list of spoofs written by Friedberg and Seltzer that, since their admittedly brilliant hit "Scary Movie," have left their fans wanting. The good thing about "Epic Movie" is that you can very easily get up and make some popcorn or go to the bathroom while it's on because you won't miss much while you're gone. But don't stray too far; the movie does produce the occasional chuckle once every 15 minutes or so, so make sure you're on the couch for it. To find a few more laughs, check out the special features, but be prepared to encouter a lot of childish humor in the many selections.\nIs this really the standard of American humor? Let's hope not, because a few well-placed pop culture references are all that saves "Epic Movie" from being an epic disaster.