Dinosaur Jr. Beyond : A-

Dinosaur roars!

Who’d have guessed that a dinosaur would adapt so well to the present?

Even in Dinosaur Jr.'s late-'80s heyday, the band had one of underground rock's most dysfunctional internal relationships. Thus, the fact that all three founders -- J. Mascis, Lou Barlow and Murph -- managed to set aside their differences and reunite for a 2006 tour was extraordinary. And that they've followed this by producing a new album is truly remarkable. But what's downright miraculous is that this album, Beyond, is very good indeed.\nAs a young indie rock fan in the dawn of the 21st century, you might be wondering why you should care. So what if Beyond stands alongside Dinosaur Jr.'s best? Their masterpiece, You're Living All Over Me, is older than many folks reading this paper! But here's the thing: while Beyond is a bit of a throwback to 1989 or so, it's also a perfectly timed throwback. It lands squarely in the midst of a trend I've noted in past reviews: the "Guitar Hero" phenomenon -- the return of hard rock to the indie scene. And if you've liked the mock-Zeppelin of Wolfmother, the bar-epics of The Hold Steady, Queens of the Stone Age's discography or that last Kings of Leon album -- dear God, wait'll you hear this.\nTake, for example, Beyond's third song, "Pick Me Up." A bass guitar/lead guitar chug and Mascis' drawl give way to a repeated plea to "Hold On!" as the lead howls like a coyote -- then things downshift into a smoldering slow march (think Sonic Youth) before exploding into a towering three-minute guitar solo. If it doesn't make you want to engage in a bit of air guitar, then you have no soul.\n"Pick Me Up" is Beyond's most ambitious moment, but the album's first seven tracks feature one distortion-fueled, fist-pumping melody after another, tempered by Mascis' plaintive, age-worn, surprisingly romantic vocals. This is followed by "We're Not Alone" and "I Got Lost," for which the band dials things down, delivering a catchy bit of jangle-pop and a mournful acoustic sing-along, respectively. Next track, "Lightning Bulb," spits venom but drags a bit. However, things conclude on one final blast: "What If I Knew."\nIt's hardly a departure from their past albums -- but with no one else trying to cop Dinosaur Jr.'s sound, Beyond feels like a revelation (not to mention a terrific introduction to a classic band). Who'd have guessed that a dinosaur would adapt so well to the present?