Campillo prepares for postseason tournaments

NCAAs, Palmer Cup on docket for golfer

Ronni Moore

While most college students will spend their summers working, laying out and spending time with family and friends, sophomore Jorge Campillo will spend his break preparing to represent Europe in the 2007 Palmer Cup. \nCampillo was selected along with seven other European collegiate golfers to play for the European team in this year’s competition. The two-day tournament will begin June 7 and will be held at the Caves Valley Golf Club in Owings Mills, Md. Campillo will also be the lone Hoosier competing in this weekend’s NCAA Central Regonals in Sugar Grove, Ill.\n“I’m very excited. I’ve been looking forward to it all year,” Campillo said about the Palmer Cup. \nDespite his excitement, being selected was no surprise for Campillo. After being named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2006 and winning the First Team All-Big Ten honor after this spring’s season, he expected it. \nCampillo, a native of Spain, also earned medalist honors in the first two tournaments of the spring, finishing in a tie for first at the North Texas Classic in Guadalajara, Mexico in February, and winning the title outright at the Pinehurst Intercollegiate on March 20 in North Carolina. Campillo went on to finish in the top 10 at six other tournaments throughout this season. \n“It’s quite an honor for Jorge, and a well-deserved one,” Indiana head coach Mike Mayer said in a statement. \nBefore the Palmer Cup, Campillo still has at least one more tournament to practice for: the NCAA Regionals. Although the Hoosiers did not advance to the NCAA Central Regional as a team, Campillo was selected as an individual and will represent them as a second-seeded player. \n“He will represent Indiana well in the regional and at the NCAA Championship,” Mayer said. \nAfter Regionals, Campillo will focus his attention on the Palmer Cup. Although he plans to do little more than practice in preparation, he says he will be able to work on his game even more than usual, now that the school year is over. \nAs for nerves, Campillo said he has played in so many tournaments that he’s hardly feeling jittery – at least not yet.\n“I’m not nervous right now, but the night before and right before the tournament starts I might be kind of nervous,” Campillo said.\nIn order to calm those nerves, he said he listens to a Spanish song before playing in every tournament. He says the song gets him motivated to play and helps him focus on the tournament at hand.