world

UPDATE: 2:05 p.m. 2 Purdue grads among Virgina Tech victims

Two people with ties to Purdue were among the list of victims from Monday’s fatal shootings at Virgina Tech. Kevin Granata, age unknown, who was an engineering science and mechanics professor, was killed according to Ishwar K. Puri, the head of the engineering science and mechanics department. Granata earned his undergraduate and master’s degrees from Purdue in 1986, the school said.\nIn addition, G.V. Loganathan, 51, civil and environmental engineering professor, was also one of the 32 killed, according to his brother G.V. Palanivel. Loganathan graduated with a doctorate in civil engineering in 1982 from Purdue.

Other names that have thus far been confirmed:

– Ross Abdallah Alameddine, 20, of Saugus, Mass., according to his mother, Lynnette Alameddine.

– Ryan Clark, 22, of Martinez, Ga., biology and English major, according to Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins.

– Daniel Perez Cueva, 21, a native of Peru studying international relations, according to his mother, Betty Cueva.

- Caitlin Hammaren, 19, of Westtown, N.Y., a sophomore majoring in international studies and French, according to Minisink Valley, N.Y., school officials who spoke with her family.

– Emily Jane Hilscher, a 19-year-old freshman from Woodville, according to Rappahannock County Administrator John W. McCarthy, a family friend.

– Liviu Librescu, 76, engineering science and mathematics lecturer, according to Puri.

– Mary Karen Read, 19, of Annandale, Va., according to her aunt, Karen Kuppinger, of Rochester, N.Y.