The impending doom of my imaginary friends

TV James Gandolfini

Nearly a month ago, I realized the world was coming to an end. There I was, watching the last episode of "The OC." Julie Cooper went to college, Sandy and Kirsten gave birth to the WASPiest little girl ever, Ryan became an architect (so obvious, how did I not see that coming), and Seth and Summer eventually got married. My best friends were moving on with their lives and abandoning me. A tear rolled down my eye as I realized I would never chill at the Bait Shop, have a bagel in the Cohen kitchen or hide out in Marissa's lifeguard hut ever again. Be strong, I thought to myself, be strong. After all, this wasn't the first time I'd experienced loss. "Arrested Development" was canceled more than a year ago, and so far I've managed to survive. I assured myself I still had other TV friends to keep me company, and as I began to think of them, I realized they soon would be gone, too. I was speechless. Everything I have known and that has made up the last six or so years of my life would soon end. I would be alone in the world.\nNegotiations still have not been finalized for new seasons of "Scrubs" or "Gilmore Girls." If J.D. and crew don't return, who's going to teach me life-lessons about growing up, working a full-time job and how to deal with relationships? (Come on, Zach Braff, you're one of the highest paid TV actors for a show that doesn't even have a huge audience. Put your film career on hold for one more year.) Rory Gilmer, Alexis Bledel (while I dislike acknowledging these are real people, for financial purposes it is necessary) isn't too keen on coming back for another season, which would mean I'll no longer have anyone who fully understands my love of pop culture, someone who understands my obscure references or someone to speak ridiculously fast-paced with. \nFortunately there's still hope for those two shows, but after June "The Sopranos" gets whacked (leaving no reason for my family to socialize -- notice that syllable at the end of my last name). This will be the last season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and without that, I'll have trouble validating my socially unacceptable and awkward behavior by saying "If Larry would do it, it's OK." (So what if I've lied to a priest? Is it really that weird that I will never set foot in a Ballantine Hall bathroom?) \nIt's not that there won't be any good TV left, rather the contrary. "Lost" is still awesome, but my life is stressful enough without being cut off from civilization and having to hide from a group of sadist "others." It's always fun to gossip with the "Desperate Housewives" on Wysteria Lane, but because I'm not a middle-aged woman, I don't want my closest social circle to depend on baked goods and poker games. Pam and Jim may have fun tormenting Dwight and their "Office" co-workers, but I'd probably last about two weeks before I murdered everyone there out of frustration and awkward silence. Sure, the "Grey's Anatomy" doctors always have some huge drama going on, but Meredith and I are sworn enemies and the other characters kind of suck now, too. Izzie's been unforgivingly bitchy (and what kind of idiot gives away $8 million!?!), George got married (and what kind of idiot gets pissed at his wife for having $8 million!?!), and Dr. Bailey just doesn't use the word "va-jay-jay" enough lately. And even after I stuck with the show once it failed to kill off Meredith (so close! so close!), it gets rid of my favorite character, Addison Montgomery, by giving her own spin-off.