The fear of failure

Someone once said, “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.” Now, how exactly does this work, and how can the biggest mistake in life actually come from not doing anything? \nWell, this past year I have witnessed over and over again how this fear of failure can be a huge mistake.\nThis fear too often causes people to stop challenging themselves in school and other aspects of their life. It can stop them from taking more demanding classes or pursuing a tougher major. The chance of failure can stop people from learning and growing from challenging opportunities they could have taken. And ultimately, I have seen this fear stop students from reaching their potential, achievements and success. All because there was a chance of failure. They seem to have forgotten that not only will there always be a chance of failure, but also a chance of limitless success.\nSo, the more I think about the repercussions of this fear, the more it appears extremely logical that we actually have more at risk by being idle, not taking chances, not allowing ourselves the chance to fail. By doing this, we deny ourselves so many great opportunities; we don’t even get to live our life by holding ourselves back in this way. By living in this continuous fear we waste our potential, our opportunities and our success. Really, we waste our lives.\nThink of the most successful people you know. A lot of them have achieved so much because they did not let fear and a lurking possibility of failure stop them. While these people seem to have a lesser fear of failure, they also have enough courage to face it. Through the power of courage, they have so many more opportunities open to them. They are really the ones who do achieve great success.\nThe next time you are presented with an opportunity or a personal challenge, remember the mistake will not come from putting forth your full effort and energy. It will come from allowing your doubts and fears to overcome you and not even giving yourself the chance to succeed. In life, there are going to plenty of things and people that will stand in the way of your success. So why let yourself be the biggest obstacle?