Sports journalist says ‘gutsy, opinionated’ writing to be valued

Deford speaks to crowd of more than 300 Wednesday

For Frank Deford, sports is a form of art.\n“When we look back on the 20th century, why shouldn’t the moves of Jordan be remembered with the characters of Fitzgerald and the sounds of Gershwin?” he asked a crowd on Wednesday night.\nHundreds of students, teachers and IU graduates packed into Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union to hear from the accomplished journalist. In an almost poetic way, Deford rattled off stories and jokes – all of which ended with a simple and clear message: sports matter. \nDeford, a writer for Sports Illustrated for 30 years, is a weekly commentator for National Public Radio, the author of 14 books and a frequent guest on HBO’s “Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel,”\nDeford addressed key issues he faced throughout his career. He combatted misconceptions among journalism communities that sports writing is to journalism what comedy is to filmmaking. He spoke boldly and confidently: “I think that if sports writers covered politics in 2002, President Bush wouldn’t have gotten away with going into Iraq,” he said.\nDespite the heavy implications of his statement, Deford said his point was that sports writers are criticized for non-objectivity, but that in reality it is this sort of gutsy, opinionated writing that drives journalists to dig up the truth. \nIn his career, Deford had the privilege of interviewing countless influential sports figures.\n“One big drawback of being a sports writer is that you have to interview players in a locker room, where they are often sweaty and naked,” he said jokingly. \nThis type of humor was a constant throughout Deford’s speech, as he routinely presented audience members with points of contemplation and then offset them with lighthearted jokes. \n“He definitely made me laugh,” said Brittany Whaley, a sophomore in attendance. “I think he has a great personality. I enjoyed it.”\nDeford also took time to comment on one of the world’s most popular sports. \n“I’m tired of hearing people complain that America isn’t into soccer as much as the rest of the world,” he said. “You’re not using the hands God gave you. You use your feet to move the ball and then your head as a club.”\nHis distaste for the sport made it all the more ironic that the most memorable moment of his career took place while he covered the 1990 World Cup, where he said he witnessed firsthand the ability of a single sport to unify countries.\n“I never really understood the power of sports until that moment.”