Man accused of kidnapping 2 children

Gunman held boys hostage for 7 hours

MARENGO, Ind. – A gunman accused of holding two children hostage for seven hours in a southern Indiana home faces a dozen felony charges including kidnapping and criminal confinement, authorities said Thursday.\nPolice captured Todd Dunn, 44, of Brownsburg, Ind., late Wednesday after he released the boys, ages 7 and 14, who were being held in their Marengo home, said Sgt. Todd Ringle, a state police spokesman.\nDunn faces three counts each of kidnapping and criminal confinement, two counts of criminal mischief and one count each of burglary, carjacking, residential entry and resisting law enforcement. All charges are preliminary.\nDunn agreed with police negotiators shortly before midnight to unload his shotgun and place it outside the home. He then released the boys, Ringle said, and officers went inside to arrest him. The children were unharmed and returned to their parents, who were standing outside the home as police negotiated, Ringle said.\nDunn was being held Thursday in the Crawford County Jail, where he was taken after having his arm treated at a hospital. He hurt himself when he broke into the home in the community about 35 miles northwest of Louisville, Ky., Ringle said.\nThe situation began Wednesday afternoon with another home invasion in Mooresville, Ind., about 85 miles north. Dunn abducted a homeowner who surprised him after he broke into a house in the town about 15 miles south of Indianapolis, police said. Dunn then drove south on Indiana 37 in the hostage’s truck, but the homeowner escaped and called police.\nA Crawford County sheriff’s deputy later spotted the suspect and truck at a gas station in English, Ind., but Dunn rammed the police car when the deputy confronted him, police said. He then carjacked another pickup truck and fled again, ending up at the rural home on the outskirts of Marengo, a town of about 860 people.