IU remains atop conference standings with 15-1 mark

Winning is quickly becoming a tradition for the IU club baseball team, which improved its record to 15-1 the past two weeks. \nThe Hoosiers swept conference rival Northern Kentucky in a three-game series two weeks ago then took a contest against Rose Hulman on March 26.\nIt was not just the victories that were impressive for this Hoosier club, which currently stands alone at the top of the NCBA Great Lakes Region-South Division, but the rarest of all baseball accomplishments that took place during the second game of the double header against Norther Kentucky on March 24. \nFreshman Bryant Gastineau recorded the first perfect game in IU club baseball history, striking out eight batters in a shortened, five-inning contest that the Hoosiers won 10-0.\n“He pitched lights out,” first-year graduate student Matt Ostrega said in an e-mail. “He kept hitters off balance all game and did not allow a single ball to leave the infield.”\nOstrega was behind the plate catching for Gastineau’s historic performance.\nThe offense was led in the game by sophomore Jacob Redmond, who went 4-for-4 at the plate with a two-run home run, two doubles and three RBIs. Redmond was also the winning pitcher in the earlier game of the double header. Ostrega added to the offense as well, connecting for a grand slam in the game and finishing with five RBIs.\nOn Sunday, March 28, the Hoosiers returned to the Bloomington North field for their final contest against Northern Kentucky, taking the game 8-4 behind sophomore Adam Myers’ seven-inning, seven-strikeout performance on the mound. Ostrega, along with junior shortstop Eric Bolin, led the offense, combining to score or drive in all of the team’s runs.\nIU won two of three games this past weekend. The Hoosiers split Saturday’s doubleheader with Loyola, winning the first game 11-1 before losing the second game 3-2. \nSunday, the Hoosiers rebounded to take the three-game series with a 4-2 win. \nThe results of the Hoosiers doubleheader against Ball State on Tuesday were not available by press time.