IU Relays canceled due to bad weather

The Indiana Relays track meet scheduled for Friday and Saturday is canceled due to bad weather, according to a news release from the IU Athletics Department.\n“Due to the forecast and inclement weather, we had teams call and a couple outright canceled,” IU women’s interim coach Judy Wilson said. “And others were very concerned, and we weren’t sure if they were going to come, so due to lack of opponents, the meet will be canceled.”\nThe relays would have been the second meet of the outdoor season for the Hoosiers but would have been the first for athletes who did not travel to Palo Alto, Calif., on March 30 and 31 for the Stanford Invitational.\nThe meet would have been the first of only two hosted by IU at the Robert C. Haugh Track and Field Complex.\nA few events, like the steeplechase, were never going to take place due to too few athletes competing in the event, Wilson said.\n“We are getting reports of 30-degree weather and snow, and after it being 80 (degrees) this week, so we are concerned with the health and well-being of our athletes,” Wilson said. “We already had the pole vault scheduled inside, and other events were probably going to be inside and that is when you start wondering whether you are having an outdoor meet.”\nThe Hoosiers will travel to Missouri for the Missouri Relays on April 13 and 14.