Comcast replacing Insight as Bloomington’s cable provider

Deal changes service for 1.2 million Hoosiers

Before the end of 2007, Comcast Corporation will become the new cable provider in Bloomington, taking over for Insight Communications. It is the result of an agreement to split their joint venture, the Insight Midwest partnership, of which both companies held a 50 percent ownership. \nThe deal will shift 1.2 million Hoosier households’ cable services in Anderson, Bloomington, Kokomo and Lafayette from Insight to Comcast, according to a press release.\nInsight Senior Manager of Corporate Communications John Dobken said that after long discussion it was decided that this split was the best move for both companies. \n“When it was decided to break up the partnership, they took half and we took half,” Dobken said. “Given (Comcast’s) presence in the Illinois and Indiana region, it was decided this was the best split.”\nDobken said it is still too early to know if Comcast will change the pricing structure for the former Insight customers. \nThe idea of such a massive corporation taking over the cable services in Bloomington has some residents wary. \n“Insight is a local business with local people that understand your problems,” junior Beau Barnthouse said. “I’ve always had Insight and they have always been really good with good customer service.” \nBarnthouse went on to explain he has heard many horror stories from friends and acquaintances about problems associated with Comcast’s service, including poor customer service and unreliable Internet service. \nStill, the change seems to have little effect on most students at IU. When questioned about the change, most students, including senior Amanda Targgart said their cable providers mean little to them.\n“I don’t even really watch TV,” Targgart said. “I just have cable, and I don’t even know what Comcast is.” \n“Everyone back in my hometown has Comcast except me,” said sophomore Curtis Mannen. “I really don’t know anything about them.” \nThere are still satellite providers such as DirecTV that serve the Bloomington area and provide an alternative to cable.