Cold weather a factor in IU’s 3rd-place finish at Boilermaker invite

The IU men’s golf team tied for sixth this weekend at the Boilermaker Invitational in West Lafayette. \nThe two-day tournament consisted of 36 holes, one round Saturday and one round Sunday.\nSophomore Seth Brandon played best for the Hoosiers. He tied for fourth place, totaling 148 (74-74). Next for IU was fellow sophomore Jorge Campillo, who tied for 22nd with a score of 151 (76-75). Drew Allenspach, also a sophomore, tied for 31st place, scoring 153 (78-75). \nFreshman Alex Martin tied at 56th place with a final score of 157 (80-77). Rounding out the Hoosiers’ lineup was sophomore Brandon Pike, who shot a total of 167 (83-84), placing in 78th place. \nAfter two consecutive wins in the previous two tournaments, the Hoosiers were unable to pull off a win this weekend. It would have been the first time the team had won three consecutive matches since the 2003-2004 season. \nAfter Saturday’s round, the team was tied for third place, but Sunday’s performance wasn’t what the team needed to take home another win.\n“We put ourselves into position to have a good round today, but we just couldn’t bring it home,” IU coach Mike Mayer said in a statement. “There are some very tough holes on this golf course, and we didn’t finish them well.” \nThe tournament champions, Michigan State, finished with a total score of 593 (301-292). Finishing in second place was home team Purdue, tied with Northwestern, with a two-day team total of 602. The Hoosiers’ final score was 609 (308-301). \nBefore heading to West Lafayette, one of the team’s major concerns was the harsh weather.\n“The weather was obviously a factor today, because it was 28 degrees when we started and then under 20 with the wind chill and didn’t get much better,” Mayer said in the statement.