Campus sexual assault programs helpful at IU

I write to express my concern that recent IDS articles and editorials do not accurately reflect the range of campus and community services in the areas of sexual assault prevention, education and treatment. \nTo my mind, the campus and community are lucky to have comprehensive services that address different elements of the problem and complement each other. The Sexual Assault Crisis Service (SACS) of the IU Health Center is the only service especially for students, staffed by professional counselors. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to work with students or members of the IU community who have sustained a recent sexual assault. All SACS services are free.\nSACS counselors assist students who have been assaulted with medical evaluation and care, crisis and follow up counseling and working with campus and community justice systems if they wish to pursue legal action.\nSpeaking with campus groups including men’s groups, about safety issues, about the kinds of communication and listening that can prevent sexual assault is an important part of the SACS mission. They assist with the design and delivery of summer orientation programs for freshmen as well as offering numerous other programs to our campus. \nThe counselors serve on campus committees, including the Commission on Personal Safety. They work closely with the staff of the Office of Women’s Affairs who have a range of educational programs themselves, some involving peer educators who talk with student groups. They also have shared committee work with staff of Middle Way House, a community service that offers 24 hour phone consultations by trained volunteers.\nI believe the students would be better served by more factual, inclusive stories in this important area.

\nNancy Stockton, Director\nCounseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)\nIU Health Center