Woman recants rape report from earlier this week

Student now says she was never abducted, assaulted



A woman who told police Monday she had been abducted and raped twice by two unknown men recanted her report Thursday, IU Police Department Capt. Jerry Minger said.

The woman, a 19-year-old IU student, first told police the men abducted her while she was on the corner of 10th Street and Sunrise Avenue at about 10:30 p.m. Feb. 22. She said the men grabbed her by the arms as she was walking home from work and put her in the backseat of a car, drove her to a parking lot and assaulted her before leaving her at the original location.

On Thursday, when she went in for a follow-up interview with Detective Sgt. Leslie Slone, she said she had not actually been sexually assaulted or abducted, Minger said.

“She had had consensual sex with a subject she met on the Internet at a Motel 6,” Minger said.

Minger said the case is still being investigated and that police are waiting to confirm the identity of the male subject and interview him.

IUPD has submitted for consideration an affidavit for charges of false informing to the Monroe County prosecutor’s office, Minger said.

Like what you're reading? Support independent, award-winning college journalism on this site. Donate here.

More



Comments powered by Disqus