UPDATE 4:46 p.m.: McRobbie chosen as IU's 18th president

Dustin Hoffman and Lily Tomlin play detective duo Bernard and Vivian Jaffe in “I Heart Huckabees.”

INDIANAPOLIS – Interim Provost Michael McRobbie was confirmed as IU’s 18th president today, receiving an outright vote of confidence from the trustees who took nine months to select him.\nIn a simple announcement at IU Purdue University-Indianapolis, trustees all emphasized they were pleased, but also stressed that it was tough to pick between the two qualified candidates. \nMcRobbie, a native of Australia, will succeed current President Adam Herbert, who is slated to step down July 1. The current provost has also served as the University’s Chief Information Officer and vice president for research since arriving at IU in 1997. \nDr. Ora Pescovitz, CEO of Riley Hospital for Children, was the other finalist for the position, but was informed earlier this week that trustees had selected McRobbie. \n“I feel greatly honored to have been one of the two finalists for the presidency of IU,” Pescovitz said in a statement. “I believe all Hoosiers should be justifiably proud of our great university.”\nAlthough Pescovtiz said she was “disappointed” that she was not chosen, she added that she would remain “excited and gratified” in continuing to serve as both the president of Riley and the executive associate dean for research affairs at the IU School of Medicine.\nIn recent months McRobbie, 56, has set himself in position to lead the University. Speeches, like one he gave to the Bloomington Rotary Club in January, have given students, faculty members and politicians statewide, a portrait of what sees as the best path for IU in the coming years. \nIn that speech, he generally stressed the importance of raising University admission standards, encouraging diversity, promoting a construction boom and internationalizing IU, among other suggestions. \nAccording to McRobbie's contract, he will make $400,000 annually, commencing July 1. \nIn contrast, Adam Herbert earns $359,600 annually.