Trip to Florida for spring break leaves Hoosiers undefeated

Matchup with Eastern Kentucky up next for squad

The IU club baseball team returned to Bloomington from its spring break trip in Plant City, Fla., with its perfect record still intact, winning all seven of its contests and improving to 9-0 on the season.\nThe Hoosiers opened up the week with a 7-2 victory against Minnesota State-Moorhead. Freshman pitcher Bryant Gastineau picked up the win with a six-inning, eight-strike-out performance. IU did not allow an opposing base runner to reach third base after the first inning, in which Minnesota State-Moorhead scored its only two runs, both unearned.\nIn the second game, the Hoosiers shut out Minnesota State-Mankato, 10-0. The Hoosiers did not allow a single Minnesota State-Mankato base runner to reach third base all game, improving their streak of not allowing an opposing base runner to reach third base to 13 innings. Sophomore Jacob Redmond picked up the win and junior Kevin Rogers led the offensive charge with a three-run home run in the fourth inning.\nIU continued its offensive surge, taking its third and fourth games of the trip, 15-1 against Carnegie Mellon and 6-1 against Lafayette.\nHowever, the Hoosiers’ final three games of the trip were more competitive. \nIn their fifth game of the week, the Hoosiers went battled New York University, winning 12-7. Gastineau picked up his second win of the week with a six-inning, seven-strike-out performance, and Rogers hit his second home run of the trip to lead the offense.\nIn its final two contests, IU faced Georgia Southern, winning both games with a score of 7-4. Redmond picked up the win in the first game, his second of the week. \nIn the final game of the week, the Hoosiers staged a seventh-inning comeback win in which Redmond led the rally with a two-run double to tie the game and scored the winning run on a Georgia Southern error. Freshman Mike Yonke picked up the win, throwing three scoreless innings in relief.\nThe Hoosiers also owe a great deal of credit for their success to sophomore outfielder Chris Hollins, who put together a 15-for-22 performance at the plate during the trip, hitting one home run, two triples, three doubles and knocking in nine runs.\nIU returns home ready to open up conference play against Northern Kentucky with two doubleheaders 1 p.m. this Saturday and at noon Sunday at Bloomington North High School. The games are the Hoosiers’ first home games this season.