Ravens trade for running back after losing theirs to free agency

Willis McGahee is in place as Jamal Lewis’ replacement in Baltimore.\nThe day after Lewis signed with the Cleveland Browns, the Ravens obtained McGahee from Buffalo for three draft picks – a third and a seventh in this year’s draft and a third in 2008.\n“We’re getting a dynamic back who has the potential to diversify our running game,” Ravens coach Brian Billick said. “We’ve studied him, and he brings the same passion and preparation that is common to Miami players, like our Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.”\nAtlanta, meanwhile, reached agreement with wide receiver Joe Horn, who is expected to play a lead role in new coach Bobby Petrino’s efforts to add a better passing game. And St. Louis signed tight end Randy McMichael, who was released last week by Miami.\nMcGahee has been available since the end of the season and several teams had been thought to be interested. But none was willing to put together a package of draft picks that satisfied Buffalo.\nMcGahee is coming off a season in which he finished with a career-low 990 yards rushing, but led the Bills with six touchdowns rushing in 14 starts.\nIn 2005, he rushed for 1,247 yards and five touchdowns in 15 starts. He established himself as Buffalo’s starter in 2004 with 1,128 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns in 11 starts.\nHe was attractive to the Ravens after the falloff by Lewis, who since rushing for 2,066 yards in 2003 has been bothered by injuries and averaged just 3.4 yards and 3.6 yards per carry the last two seasons. Baltimore released him last week.\n“I’ve got a lot left in the tank when I have something to work with, and I feel Cleveland is going to give me that opportunity to do what I do,” Lewis said in a teleconference with Ohio reporters.\nThe 35-year-old Horn, a fixture in New Orleans who was cut by the Saints after seven seasons, missed nine games the last two seasons with groin and hamstring injuries, including six games last season. Negotiations with the Falcons gained momentum after Horn passed a physical exam administered by the team.\nThe Falcons led the NFL in rushing for the third straight year but finished last with only 148 yards passing per game. Petrino plans to add more three- and four-receiver sets to the offense led by Michael Vick.\nHorn will join the team as a starter but also will be called on to serve as a position leader for Michael Jenkins and Roddy White, first-round picks who have struggled with inconsistency.\nMcMichael has averaged 65 receptions the last three seasons at a position at which the Rams’ leader last season was rookie Joe Klopfenstein with 20.\n“This has been in the works for a while,” said Rams coach Scott Linehan, who was the Dolphins’ offensive coordinator in 2005. “We even considered trading for him. He is an every-down tight end and a proven starter in the league.”