Protest against Dow about human rights, not money

Edward Delp’s column against the AID (Association for India’s Development) protest against Dow Chemical at the Business Conference in Indianapolis (“Defending Dow,” March 1) is infuriating to put it mildly. The purpose of the protest was not to cry out against the dark side of capitalism. Instead, it was to remind the people that the aftermath of the Bhopal gas tragedy in 1984 still affects thousands in the area today and to confront Dow to take responsibility for their action.\nIn 1984, there were about 20,000 lives lost and 200,000 disabled, according to The Washington Post. Dow owns Union Carbide, the company responsible for the tragedy. When a parent adopts a child, he cannot choose to ignore the child’s past. When a company takes over, the new management cannot ignore the consequences of the actions of the adopted company. They cannot turn a blind eye to the victims or a deaf ear to the activists demanding justice – Dow has to take responsibility for Union Carbide and it is not an “absurd” expectation. The victims of the catastrophe are not asking for money (even though they received only $500 in compensation). They want the contaminated water cleaned up and medical treatment for their illnesses caused by the poison gas leak 22 years ago. Calling attention to human-rights violations is not going to give our campus a reputation as “business-hating.” Instead, it will bring pride as the activists are not going to be silenced by being called “whiny.”\nOne has to speak up against human-rights violation, and AID activists did just that at the conference where the CEO of Dow was supposed to talk about the environment of all things. Bottom line, it is not about Wal-Mart or Coca-Cola, it is about human rights.

Pavithra Rajagopal\nAssociation for India’s Development