Weather dependent stress

Do you experience more sadness, irritability and apathy, or less energy and motivation, in these dreary winter months? Stress during winter is a very real phenomenon for many people for many reasons. Shorter days, much longer dark periods, the desire to eat more and exercise less or to “hibernate” more, the threat of inclement weather inhibiting normal activities, and uncomfortably cold temperatures are some of the reasons.\nDuring the winter months we want to sleep more, stay in bed longer and eat more comfort foods high in calories and fats. This can leave you with a sense of lethargy, which can enhance winter depression. One thing we can do to offset this is exercise regularly. An exercise routine creates more energy to fight the desire to lounge in bed longer and increases motivation. It can be a good way to meet and mix with other people, too, which helps to prevent mid-winter isolation. It will also offset those extra calories. \nAnother method to prevent the stress of weather-related isolation is making a special effort, or even forcing yourself, to seek social activities with peers. This is a good time to dust off your old indoor hobbies or look for new hobbies as a fun way to meet and interact with others who share similar interests.\nAnother great way to spend quality time is to seek volunteer opportunities for projects that are especially meaningful to you. A good way to start your search for volunteer activities is consulting the Web sites of IU or the city of Bloomington. \nThis is a great time to explore new reading material. This is by nature a solitary activity, but one way to increase socialization through reading is to start a book club with a few friends. Ask them to invite other friends to join the group, choose a recommended book for all to read and set a meeting about a month in the future to get together and discuss it. \nThe longer nights are the perfect time to spend studying more. Take advantage of this time to improve your grade-point average. Get together with classmates for more study and collaboration. Try to get ahead now, while other distractions are fewer, because as soon as the first warmer, lighter evenings of spring hit Bloomington, outdoor distractions will surely multiply.\nAnother method of combating stress is taking care of a pet such as a dog, cat, bird or fish. When we take care of another living creature, it helps us focus our energy elsewhere and gives us a sense of meaning and purpose. Pets also provide needed companionship, which decreases loneliness.\nOf course, there are many hearty souls who love winter for its unique sports, beauty and challenges. Turning winter doldrums into new opportunities is a proven way to deal with weather-related stresses and moods.