Taking the plunge

More than 100 participants turn out for Polar Bear Plunge

The reaction of the plungers as they came out of the pool at Friday's Polar Bear Plunge could best be summarized in one word -- "freezing."\n"I am as cold as they are in Siberia on a cold day," senior Patrick Burns said as he came out of the near-freezing pool outside the Student Recreational Sports Center, "with a slight breeze blowing from the north." \nAccording to a news release from Special Olympics Indiana, the Bloomington Polar Bear Plunge is one of five such events to be held throughout the state in 2007. Presented by Edy's Grand Ice Cream, the event showcased just what the organizers expected -- which was, according to the release, "dozens of brave souls turning out for a gutsy plunge into a temporary outdoor swimming pool to raise funds for Special Olympics Indiana." \n"Polar Bear Plunge has existed in Bloomington for five years as part of a nationwide fundraiser," said Joy Mahoney, public relations coordinator for Special Olympics Indiana.\nMahoney was excited at the turnout of more than 100 plungers from the IU campus and the Bloomington community. To participate, plungers had to raise at least $60 in pledges.\nThe group is still taking donations, but as of Saturday, the event raised more than $8,000, said Ben Smith, one of the organizers.\n"People take the plunge for several reasons," Mahoney said. "One, it's crazy and people can say they did it. Two, it gives people a great conversation starter. Sometimes, they do it for bets. But most importantly, knowing that it would fund sports and the satisfaction they get from a good cause."\nThe Polar Bear Plunge was part of IU's Spirit of Sport festivities until this year, when the annual event was retired.\n"This year, with the retirement of Spirit of Sport, IU's faculty and staff have taken initiative," Mahoney said. "Last year we raised more than $120,000 statewide. We hope to exceed the figure this year."\nThe event began at 6 p.m. with the presentation of the Spirit of Special Olympics Award to the Bloomington-based McGovern family -- Ron, Diana, Billy and Steve.\n"We are very appreciative and very happy," Diana McGovern said. "You can enjoy Special Olympics as an adult or a child."\nDiana McGovern volunteers for the Special Olympics, while her husband Ron is a coach and the treasurer for the local program.\nSpecial Olympics empowers athletes and gives them a chance to develop self-confidence, Mahoney said.\n"It helps the intellectually disabled the chance to develop an 'I can' attitude, when the world is saying, 'You can't.' It draws the community together and promotes integration," she said.\nBecky LaPadula, treasurer for Monroe County Special Olympics, said she prepared for the freezing water by dressing in a Hawaiian costume.\n"I am feeling like I am insane and I am wondering how cold it would be," LaPadula said as she waited to take the plunge. "We are dressed fairly well and we are going to imagine we are on a Hawaiian beach."\nAt the same time, the feeling remained unparalleled.\n"It is a natural high," said freshman Samantha Leone, who took the plunge with her sisters. "You'll never relive the same feeling that you did."\nThe observers found themselves freezing, as well.\n"I got soaking wet just standing there and I am freezing," sophomore Ashley Novotney said. "I give anybody credit who will come in that water"