'Remains' of the Trio

It's new, but it's not really new. Alkaline Trio, The Misfits of my generation of punk rock, have compiled a good deal of their B-sides and a few live ones in one affordable, convenient package. I was hoping for a brand new album, but this is the next best thing I suppose. The compilation album is made up of 19 B-sides and three live cuts. You also get a DVD for no extra charge, their first since the live set at the Metro they put out a few years ago.\nThe tracks featured on Remains come from splits with Hot Water Music and One Man Army, as well as tracks from various compilations they appeared on. The Trio blow Hot Water Music's own Rooftops up like a water bottle of nitroglycerin in a microwave. "Warbrain," off the Rock Against Bush comp on Fat Wreck Chords, takes a stab at George W., while "Jaked" on Green Beers discusses the band's love for alcohol. Missing, however, is their respectable cover of TSOL's "Wash Away," as well as their covers of the Misfits, which they put out on a tour EP. \nThe DVD features about 25 minutes of behind-the-scenes tour footage from 2005-06, but very little concert footage. If that's what you're after, you'll have to pick up the 2003 DVD, "Halloween at the Metro." You do get five of their music videos and a making-of for their video for "Burn," if that's any compensation.\nIf you're a Trio fan, you have no excuse to not pick this one up. If you're new to these guys, I would suggest picking up one of their full lengths. I'm personally biased toward their self-titled release or Goddamnit (their earlier releases), but all their albums are solid. The DVD included is weak and did not include "hundreds of hours of backstage, behind-the-scenes, and live footage" as the marketing people will lead you to believe. And it is worth mentioning that the CD cover is pretty morbid, which isn't surprising coming from members of the Church of Satan.