Opinion editor contradicts self by allowing hate-filled column’s publishing

Jacob Stewart wrote, “The apparent hatred between those of different races, those who hold different sexual preferences and those with varying political viewpoints is quite disturbing” (“The pursuit of happiness,” Feb. 5). How unfortunate that as Opinion editor he and his superiors would choose to publish “opinion columns” that serve no purpose other than to demonstrate and even encourage such hatred. I would hope opinion columns would instead serve to encourage thoughtful, reasoned debate.\nMr. Stewart goes on to “encourage members of the IU community to take a step back and look with an introspective eye at what makes them truly happy.” Here are a few of the things that make me happy: the palpable sense of community at the PRIDE film festival and dance party, a warm embrace from my husband, and seeing the positive effect we have on the children we foster.\nBy contrast, I am not happy to be called a sodomite, to be told that my relationship is a sham, to be told that I am a worse parent than the abusive and neglectful heterosexuals whose children we raise and with the assumption that our motive for parenting these children is a political ploy that takes advantage of them. These were the attacks leveled at my family and I by Abram Hess in his Feb. 1 column, “Fathers and mothers.”\nIf Mr. Stewart finds the hatred disturbing, he should not publish it. Absent the attacks, I would certainly be better able to focus on the things that make me truly happy.\nJim Johnson\nIU Employee