Column does not consider unstable households

On Thursday evening (Feb. 1), I participated in IU’s first drag king competition. I attempted to freestyle as my “talent,” but the microphone went out. The show went on, and I lost my voice.\nAfter the event, an opinion column from the day, Abram Hess’s “Fathers and mothers,” was brought to my attention. I reviewed the column and found my voice.\nThere is more than one religion in this world and just as many ways to practice each. I would never claim that I know all about any faith other than my own. Who can claim they understand how God expects children to be raised, or at least who to be raised by?\nI grew up in two homes; one parent to each. Would I have been better off with both parents, even if all I heard were fights? What about in an orphanage, or in foster care? Well, I’ve pretty much raised myself, and I’ve learned so much from inside and outside a home with an unstable foundation.\nIf one is powerful enough to claim a child is better off with no family than with one of a same-sex couple, then how does this make the children any less vulnerable? This could be more stable of an environment than any heterosexual home. If two men or women have the love to bring a child into their home, then that child’s opportunity should not be taken away. And if children were only meant for homes dedicated to a certain religion, then shouldn’t we take kids out of homes that don’t practice this religion, or any religion? That would be absurd!\nIn order to have children of our own, we have to pass tests, show financial stability and be confirmed that we can raise a child. Imagine how sane and safe heterosexual households would be if there were qualifications for conception.\nIf Peyton Manning could shake it better than he can throw, you better believe he wouldn’t be in the starting lineup. These comparisons to life are out of bounds. Life can have upsets and glory and be very entertaining. But this is no show. Take away the microphone; we won’t lose our voice.\nTina Barniak\nSenior