Borns lends little to intelligent debate

After reading Joanna Borns’ Jan. 31 column, “Seeking a BFF,” I realized I had seen the absolute lowest common denominator journalism ever to grace the pages of a newspaper since the advent of movable type. This patently unfunny and witless column reads like an irreverent escapade through the mind of an unmedicated middle school ADD cheerleader who had just watched “Napoleon Dynamite” for the 50th time.\nWhen I envision an opinion section of a respectable collegiate newspaper, I expect to see intelligent social commentary, political analysis, interesting campus issues – anything that has even the slimmest possibility of evoking a single thought, idea or emotion. This column of pure idiocy and limitless irrelevance to life outside of Discovery Zone and Chuck E. Cheese’s makes me bow my head in shame for the continuously low standards of the IDS. I am almost certain that in the four minutes it took to read this woman’s column more of my brain cells died than if I had just watched the entire “Surreal Life” television series on acid.\nSo fascinated I was by this particular piece of prose’s unimaginative drivel, I decided that I should see Borns’ complete IDS portfolio. I logged onto idsnews.com and found several opinion columns by Ms. Borns, and I have to say that they all resonate the same stuck-up and ignorant tone of the soon-to-be Pulitzer Prize-winning “Seeking a BFF.” If you don’t believe me, see for yourself.\nI have read a slew of letters sent to the editor of the IDS lamenting the ineptitude of Indiana journalism and I wish this column had been just a backhanded response to the naysayers – a cruel joke intended to say, “Yeah, but at least we aren’t this bad.” But sadly, this is not the case. I will add my cry to the apparently silent thousands before me – please find new talent; there are people with brains on this campus. Use your investigative journalism skills to find them. Oh, and this is my informal application to be Joanna’s BFF – like, whattaya say?\nRyan Cummings\nStudent