Solid as a rock

Critics labeled "Gridiron Gang" cliché and predictable. I can't say I disagree. \nMore and more sports movies are released every year following similar plotlines saddled with the frequent tagline, "based on a true story." I've begun to doubt these types of movies. Yet, there is something that stands out about "Gridiron Gang." Without much directing experience to his name, Phil Joanou did a great job with this film and making it stand out from other sports films. \nDwayne "The Rock" Johnson stars as Sean Porter, a former college football star who runs a juvenile detention center. Sean becomes tired of watching kids leave the detention center only to wind up dead or in jail. With help from his friend Malcolm, (played by rapper Xzibit), he organizes a football team for the kids. \nThough they follow similar plot lines, "Gridiron Gang" is no "Remember the Titans." "Gang" focuses on how one man organizes a football team to help replace the part of the boys' crime-filled lives and sends the message that second chances can change lives.\nI'm usually a bit skeptical about films starring The Rock; however, the former wrestler proves he can dominate outside the wrestling ring as the boys' mentor who risks his own job to make a difference in their lives. I'm even going to applaud Xzibit for his performance. I never knew he had it in him. \nI was also impressed with the special features included on the DVD. Along with the standard commentaries and deleted scenes, an in-depth "football training" takes a look at the hard work the actors went through in order to prepare for their roles. Fans of The Rock will also enjoy following his experiences training for his role and a full-contact scene where he puts the pads on himself to interact with the boys' training. What I found the most enjoyable was the "multi-angle football scene" feature, which allows you to compare different camera angles of a specific scene.\nThere is no doubt that Phil Joanou has interwoven a touching story with lots of great shots of the football scenes, which will win over sports fans.