No. 15 IU edges No. 14 Ohio State in dual meet

Hoosiers win 11 of 16 events in border battle

For the third time in its last four dual meets, the IU men's swimming and diving team was victorious, this time knocking off the No. 14 Ohio State Buckeyes. \nOn Saturday, the No. 15 Hoosiers edged out the Buckeyes 154-146 at the McCorkie Aquatic Pavilion. Even though IU seemingly controlled the meet, winning 11 out of 16 events, the final score was close. \n"We expected a tough meet coming in," coach Ray Looze said. "They were ranked a spot higher than us and we thought it would be close, and it went as expected. Our swimmers and divers were eager to compete again and we were pleased with how they responded."\nJunior Todd Patrick paced the Hoosiers, picking up three individual wins. Patrick won the 100- and 200-yard freestyle, along with the 200-yard individual medley. \nJuniors Ben Hesen and Pat Penoyar, along with sophomore Nick Walkotten, each added two wins for the victorious Hoosiers. Hesen won the 100- and 200-yard backstroke, Penoyar took first in the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke and Walkotten picked up wins in the 100- and 200-yard butterfly. \nThe Hoosiers also welcomed sophomore Matt Lenton's first performance for IU. Lenton, along with Hesen, Penoyar and Patrick, opened the meet with a first-place finish in the 200-yard medley relay. Lenton continued his strong debut with an impressive win in the 50-yard freestyle. \n"We were pleased to have Matt come onboard," Looze said. "This meet was a real good start to his career."\nOn the diving side, the Hoosiers were without All-American junior Taylor Roberts, who was injured in practice. \nIU struggled without Roberts against a strong Buckeyes diving squad. Junior Justin Montrie took sixth in the 1-meter diving for IU's best finish, and sophomore Will Bohonyi was the top finisher in the 3-meter diving, placing fourth. \n"This meet was a nice step in the process," Looze said. "Next week will be a challenge at Michigan. They are ranked highly and are one of the favorites to win the Big Ten. We'll know a lot more about our team after next weekend"