Movies, music and the iPhone

WEEKEND takes a look at the big stuff dropping in 2007

Ahh January, what a crappy month. All the studios dump movies that weren't good enough to be released last year, and TV has yet to pull stunts for February sweeps. One can't help but fantasize of better things to come. Here's a look at some of the most anticipated entertainment events of 2007:\nThe Sara Silverman Project -- At last the hilarious comedienne finally gets her own TV show on Comedy Central. In the meantime, rent her hilarious concert film, "Jesus is Magic." (Feb. 1)\nPrince at the Superbowl Halftime Show -- The Superbowl has played it so safe in the last two years since the Janet Jackson fiasco (come on, one titty never hurt anyone) it's a wonder they haven't hired The Wiggles for show duties. Sure Prince's Jehovah's Witness beliefs ensure no foul play, but that doesn't mean he still won't funk. (Feb. 4)\n"Zodiac" -- Director David Fincher ("Se7en," "Fight Club") returns with his first film in five years about a journalist following a serial killer over the course of a decade. (March 2)\n"Grindhouse" -- Insane directors Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino team up to salute violent B movies. Last time Tarantino paid homage to something, the result was the awesome "Kill Bill" series. Did I mention Rose McGowan has a machine gun for a leg? (April 6)\n "Entourage" Season 4 -- For naysayers who felt last season wasn't up to snuff, here are eight words: "Is that something you might be interested in?" It'll be fun to see how Vinny and the boys work (if at all) sans Ari. Plus rumor has it Martin Scorsese has signed up to direct an HBO original movie of "Queens Boulevard." OK, I completely made that up, but how sweet would that be? (April 8)\n"The Nanny Diaries" -- Hollywood hasn't recently provided America with a nanny they'd actually want to take care of them. Getting to tra-la-la around London with Mary Poppins would've rocked, but that was 40 years ago. Newer caretakers have included Fran Drescher and Supernanny Jo Frost, blech. Scarlett Johansson, now that's nurturing. (April 20)\nThe songwriting competition on "American Idol" -- Finally, I've been saying Fox should do this for years! Now contestants will be separated from those who are just good performers and those who actually know something about music. (Spring)\n"Spider-Man 3" -- The Spider-Man films are the best current superhero flicks hands down. And who can blame Spidey for getting all dark (just what the hell is that black sticky crap?) when he's forced to fight a man made of sand. (May 4)\n"On The Lot" -- Yet another reality show contest, this time giving aspiring filmmakers a chance to break out. Yes, "Project Greenlight" already did this, but "Lot" has Steven Spielberg in charge. (May)\nThe iPhone -- Hmm should I be concerned that this everything-in-one device will guarantee machines enslaving mankind, or should I be a good little American consumer and buy one? Option 2, of course. (June)\n"Ratatouille" -- The latest Disney/Pixar offering doesn't look quite as clever as past hits like "Monsters Inc." and "Finding Nemo." That being said, I thought "The Incredibles" and "Cars" were going to suck. Shows how much I know. (June 29)\nHarry Potter -- Harry has two big events coming up this year with the fifth film, "The Order of the Phoenix," and seventh book, "The Deathly Hallows" (hopefully, no date has been set for the book release). Helena Bonham Carter and Imelda Staunton have been perfectly cast as evil-doers Bellatrix Lestrange and Professor Umbridge. While I've been agonizing over the release of the last book, I'm not sure if I want to live in a world where there's no new Harry Potter to look forward to. (Movie: July 13; Book: TBA)\n"The Simpsons Movie" -- As a loyal fan, it pains me to say that the show is wearing in its old age (now in its 18th season.) But top writers from the series' run have been called in, so I'll try to be optimistic. (July 27)\n"Sweeney Todd" -- Tim Burton directs the film based on the popular Stephen Sondheim musical. Recent musicals like "Dreamgirls" and "Chicago" have been all about the flash, but this one will be much darker, revolving around a psychotic barber who murders his enemies and cooks them into pies at his girlfriend's restaurant. Borat himself, Sacha Baron Cohen, co-stars. (Fall)\n"Fred Claus" -- Vince Vaughn doing what he does best: Playing a slacker. Freeloader Fred lives off his famous brother, Santa Claus. It could have "Elf"potential. (Nov. 4)\nThe Whitney Houston comeback -- It's no secret Whitney's itchin' for a return what with her ditching her bacterial husband and looking all dolled up for nights on the town with Clive Davis. But Whitney, pull a surprise attack. Open the Grammys or some other event with an unannounced performance and remind us all just how stunning that voice is.\nJennifer Hudson -- Speaking of Clive Davis and his divas, the producer recently signed "Dreamgirls'" Jennifer Hudson. Her album doesn't even have to be that great. Any time she belts out, my ears orgasm. (TBA)\nKanye West, "Graduation" -- Most people are sick of Kanye's constant over-the-top antics (when you've won Grammys, who cares about an MTV European video award?) but he's got the talent to back his actions. (TBA)\nThe new Die Hard (with "Rocky Balboa" being surprisingly good, maybe John McClane's got it in him), the actual arrival of Guns n' Roses' "Chinese Democracy, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End" and "Shrek the Third" should make 2007 an entertaining one.