Men's and women's swimming and diving set for stern road test

The IU men's swimming and diving team on Saturday will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., for a pivotal meet against Michigan at Canham Natatorium. No. 15 IU stands at 3-3 on the season and 1-1 in the Big Ten. Michigan is ranked No. 12 and is 4-4 on the season and 1-1 in the Big Ten.\nThe Hoosiers are coming off a Big Ten victory over Ohio State last week. IU was led by junior Todd Patrick, who was named Big Ten Swimmer of the Week. Patrick won the 200-yard individual medley and the 100- and 200-yard freestyle. Also picking up two wins for IU were juniors Ben Hesen and Pat Penoyar and sophomore Nick Walkotten. \n"Historically, this is the time of the year when we really start to swim fast and perform," said distance coach Mike Westphal. "The second semester is when we really start to take some time off of our swims." \nOn the diving side last week at Ohio State, junior Justin Montrie placed sixth in the 1-meter diving and sophomore Will Bohonyi finished fourth in the 3-meter. The Hoosiers were without All-American junior Taylor Roberts, who suffered a concussion in practice. Head diving coach Jeff Huber said it is still uncertain whether Roberts will dive against Michigan.\n"He's over the concussion," Huber said, "but he missed a lot of training while he was out. He's had to train real hard this week and is pretty tired. We're leaving it up to him to decide if he can go this week." \nIU hasn't won at Michigan since the 1980-1981 season and hasn't beaten the Wolverines in a dual meet since Jan. 23, 1999, in Bloomington. \n"It's been a very long time since we've beaten Michigan in a dual meet," Westphal said. "We've had tough road tests already this season. We got it handed to us at Texas, but we went into Ohio State and swam well last week. I think we're ready for a good meet this weekend."\nAfter a two-month layoff from team competition, the IU women's swimming and diving team will travel to Ann Arbor as well. The Hoosiers will take on Illinois, No. 10 Michigan and No. 19 Notre Dame. IU is ranked No. 13 and is still undefeated on the season at 4-0 overall and 1-0 in the Big Ten.\nThe swimmers have had a long layoff, but are eager to return to competition this weekend. \n"I think the layoff will be a positive thing," Westphal said. "The girls are chomping at the bit to get back to competition to see what they can do. We've been training for a month now and we're ready to go." \nThe divers have been training hard over break and are ready for competition. \n"We had a very good week of training the last week of break," Huber said. "This past week has been tough because of the beginning of classes. Since most of our season is geared towards the championships, this meet should be a good training opportunity. \n"Michigan is the site of the NCAA Zone Diving Championships, so it should be a good experience for later on in the season"