Hoosiers continue road woes in weekend meet

IU loses second dual match of the season Sunday

After losing their first dual of the season at Illinois last Sunday, Jan. 21, the No. 16 Hoosiers were looking to get back on the winning track against Ohio State this weekend.\nIn only their third Big Ten dual, the Hoosiers faced a Buckeye team that was coming off its own Big Ten loss, as it dropped a 26-12 decision against Penn State on Saturday. \nThough the statistics suggested the Hoosiers should have come out with the win, they lost to Ohio State, 19-14. Freshman Trevor Perry said the numbers were right and the Hoosiers (10-2, 1-2) should have won the matchup against the Buckeyes (6-4, 2-1).\n"I don't think they were better than their record said at all," said Perry. "We just have to win individual matches that we're capable of winning to come out with the dual victory."\nPerry gave one of the best performances in his young career as he earned a technical fall against Buckeye Tommy Priestly. The win improved Perry's record to 14-6 and 3-0 in Big Ten competition.\nThough Perry shined, many Hoosiers continued to lose close matches. Three of the 10 matches IU competed in came down to the wire, but Ohio State won all three. Perry said his team's inability to close out close matches makes it more difficult to earn wins in the Big Ten.\n"We have to win matches in order to get momentum," he said. "Three of our matches were losses in a situation that could have given us the dual."\nCoach Duane Goldman agreed with Perry's assessment.\n"Lately close matches have been our downfall," Goldman said. "Guys who are prepared and trained to win are finding a way to lose. This is the third week that tight matches cost individuals and the team a victory."\nAfter dropping two road duals, the Hoosiers return to Bloomington for the next forum and begin this stint against No. 1 Minnesota this Friday.\n"Being on the road is always tough," Goldman said. "It'll be nice to be at home, but we have top-rated Minnesota coming and it doesn't get any easier as we'll face more top 10 teams."\nIf there was a bright spot in the Hoosiers' loss besides Perry, it was No. 9 Angel Escobedo, who rebounded from his loss at Illinois. The loss was the first for Escobedo since Dec. 2, when the Hoosiers competed at the Las Vegas Invitational. Angel said he used his loss as motivation and hopes his team can do the same.\n"In my match I fell behind just like I did at Illinois, but I fought hard for a comeback win," Escobedo said. "I think our team needs to look at these losses and use them as motivation instead of putting our heads under our tails."\nThe Hoosiers face Minnesota on Friday and will attempt to overcome the woes that tainted an undefeated season.