Green Day re-issue goes 'Kerplunk!'

Green Day was a completely different band before American Idiot. Before being signed to major label Warner Bros., the trio released two albums on Bay Area independent label Lookout!. The first was a compilation of various EPs titled 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, while the latter, Kerplunk!, featured what would become the definitive lineup of Billie Joe Armstrong on guitar and vocals, Mike Dirnt on bass and Tre Cool on drums. Both albums are being reissued through Warner Bros.\nKerplunk! came out in 1992 when three-chord power punk was in its prime. Green Day led the way and dominated over other bands of this caliber, landing them a major label record deal and casting them into the spotlight as one of the most popular punk bands of the '90s. Kerplunk! is a more melodic, rougher album than any of their later offerings.\nSongs like "2,000 Light Years Away" showcase the energy and emotion these guys have (this song being about the girl Billie Joe would eventually marry). Every track is a standout, but few would become hits. "Welcome to Paradise" is a familiar effort, being redone on 1994's epic, Dookie. \nCatchy, hook-laden songs abound on Kerplunk! Songs like "80" and "Sweet Children" are solid examples of Billie Joe's signature voice and the excellent cohesion between the three guys. "Dominated Love Slave" is a hilarious off-kilter attempt at country, sung by Tre Cool. The guys even take a well-received stab at The Who's "My Generation." Plus, the album cover is great (the hand-drawn artwork that many Lookout! releases would feature).\nThis version, however, has little more to offer than the original. The songs have been re-mastered and sound a little bit fresher, but this sort of takes away from the raw and passionate feel that Lookout! bands in the early '90s are known for. There aren't any added tracks, so if you already own this amazing album (which you already should, it came out an astonishing 15 years ago!), then there's no incentive to buy this. \nSadly, many Green Day fans only know them because of American Idiot, the rock opera Green Day -- the every-song-on-the-album-is-on-the-bloody-radio Green Day. Kerplunk! is for the true Green Day fans. These guys were only 17 when they recorded this, and the results are pretty amazing. As for the reissue, bottom line: If you already have Kerplunk!, then there's no damn reason why you should get this. Warner Bros. is just trying to make more money. Get the Lookout! version if you can find it.