Monday, June 17

Building bridges between cultures

Hungarian Cultural Association to host recital featuring Erzebet Gaal

Several musicians will perform music by Hungarian composers at 5 p.m. Sunday in Ford-Crawford Hall. \nBloomington harpist Erzebet Gaal will perform, as will several students from the Jacobs School of Music. \nThe recital is being held to celebrate the Jan. 22 International Day of Hungarian Culture, said Lynn Hooker, assistant professor of Hungarian Studies. \nThe International Day of Hungarian Culture celebrates the 1822 writing of the lyrics of the Hungarian national anthem, she said. \nThe recital was organized by Gaal to offer students with an interest in Hungarian culture a chance to expand their repertoires. \n"Hungary is known for its music," Gaal said. She noted several famous composers and musicians with Hungarian roots, such as Franz Liszt and IU Jacobs School of Music professor Janos Starker. \n"However, there are many more significant Hungarian composers not as well known outside of Hungary. Therefore, some of my Hungarian friends … welcomed the idea of organizing a concert program that would present Hungarian music played by students with Hungarian backgrounds or an interest in Hungarian music," Gaal said.\nGaal, a 16-year member of the Hungarian Cultural Association at IU, said Hungary has a vibrant culture because of its location.\n"Three major ecological regions -- the Mediterranean, Atlantic and Continental -- meet and blend in the Carpathian Basin at the center of Europe, where Hungary is situated," Gaal said. Being a crossroads throughout the centuries, Hungary was influenced by many different cultures, which is reflected in its art and enriched its music, Gaal said. \nSteve Grimes, president of the Hungarian Cultural Association, said many people on campus are unaware of the group. \nHe said while there are about 30 active IU students in the association, there are 100 to 300 members who are not affiliated with IU. \nA separate postal mailing list of the group is "largely Hungarian immigrants living in the Midwest and trying to stay connected to Hungarian culture," Grimes said in an e-mail.\nAmericans who have no Hungarian heritage but have visited the country comprise the largest portion of the group, Grimes said. \nThe group holds weekly coffee hours from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursdays at the Starbucks in the Indiana Memorial Union. During this time, students can practice their Hungarian language skills or attend poetry readings, film series, folk dance lesson, picnics or academic lectures hosted by the group.\n"As many students have either weak or nonexistent Hungarian skills, a lot of English is spoken at these events as well," Grimes said. \nGaal hoped people would come to the recital to enrich their cultural knowledge. \n"When we immerse ourselves in another culture's music as performers or listeners, we learn new musical language, which can build bridges between cultures and can teach us to respect achievements. … Thus, we expand our horizons. Bloomington is a wonderful place where many different cultures are represented through IU and through the community's cultural life," Gaal said in the e-mail.\nHooker said there would be a "modest reception" after the performances Sunday. \n"We can't serve alcohol, but frankly, most Hungarians celebrate with a bit of wine," she said. \nFor more information about Gaal, visit www.harpahungarica.com.